Ebook Sample Content Preview:
Reaching your Goals: Self-Improvement and Success
One of the best ways to self improve is to accomplish your goals. This can lead to pride, to self-respect and to a better sense of responsibility.
86. Recognise your own path- when it comes to reaching your goals and improving your life, you need to be the leader. You are in control of what you want and your goals should come down to you and you alone. Just because your Dad wants you to be a lawyer and your Mom wants you to have 5 children does not mean this is what you have to do- it’s your life and thus, you are the boss.
87. Disassociate yourself from negativity- in the same way positive thoughts lead to positive results, negative thoughts leads to negative results. Negativity may be all around you- bitchy co-workers; unhappy neighbours; a depressing partner. Disassociate yourself from those types of people. You are in a happy, positive place- no negativity allowed.
88. Define your goals clearly- goals are what make life worth living. Think long and hard about what you want to accomplish and how you are going to get there. Make steps, include financial costs and put in as much detail as possible- the more defined your goals are, the easier they will be to achieve (and the more rewarding when you get there).
89. Push jealously aside- when you watch someone on a parallel path reaching their goals a lot sooner, it can be hard to sit back and be happy for them. But this is what you are going to have to do. Getting rid of this envy and resentment is a big hurdle in improving your self. But, once you overcome these feelings, you are a lot closer to reaching a state of Zen-like success.
90. Use visual reminders as boosters- being able to clearly see your goal can help motivate you and keep you focused on your game plan. Many people will post a picture of their ‘dream body’ on the fridge when they are trying to lose weight. Others will use their ‘dream car’ as their computer screen saver at work when those tough days get them down. A visual reminder can boost your motivation and drive to succeed.
91. See yourself at the end- as mentioned above, visualization is vital to reach your goal and improve your self. This is why it’s important to visualize yourself there. See yourself fitting into that size 10. Feel the breeze on your cheeks as you drive that sports car. Seeing is believing.
92. Use timelines- tracking your success can help you put your goal into perspective and see how far you’ve already come. It’s important for self-improvement that you recognise your feats and be proud of what you have doing, or are planning to do.
93. Reward yourself on the way- be happy with your progress. Whether your goal will take you twenty days or twenty years doesn’t matter- the important thing is that you are doing it. You are getting there. To keep yourself motivated every step of the way, you need to reward yourself with small treats. Be proud of how far you have come and prepare for the journey ahead.
94. Look for role models- look to those who are on the same path as you for inspiration. Perhaps this is a CEO of the company; perhaps this is your father. Try to immerse yourself in their life and ask questions. Their positive energy may just rub off on you. And, if not, at least you are learning from the experts how to get where you want to go.
95. Make room for failure- it can’t be a smooth road all the time- there has to be plenty of bumps along the way. In fact, it is these bumps that make the road worth travelling. Failure is a big part of our lives and we need to learn to live, love and laugh at failure rather than give in to it. Henry Ford once said that every failed attempt is just another opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently. Failure is experience and experience is power.
You You You! Self-Improvement Tips for Your Overall Well Being
We’ve saved the best for last. These uber uplifting and furiously fun self-improvement tips are for you and you alone.
96. Laugh out loud- laugh until your cheeks hurt, laugh until your stomach aches, and laugh until the tears are rolling down your face. You’ve heard it before; laughter is the best medicine.
97. Set daily goals- self-improvement comes from within which is why you need to work towards setting your own goals each day. This could be work related, diet related or anything else related. Start small and always reward yourself for meeting the challenges of your daily goals. If you don’t make a goal, then don’t worry about it. Move on to tomorrow.
98. Buy sexy undies- for all you ladies out there, feel proud of your body with sexy underwear and lingerie. Matching lingerie can also do the trick. Strut through the day knowing you look good underneath those clothes.
99. Face you fears- are you afraid of heights? Go skydiving. This is one of the most liberating things you can do. When you look your fear in the eye and go for it, even though you feel like you might die, you never look back.
100. Travel to a foreign place- seeing the sights of a different culture is one of the greatest pleasures in life. Not only will it open your mind to new things, but it will also enhance your love for home and increase your sense of what’s important. Travelling is one the best ways to find yourself, especially when you chose to travel independently.
101. Have Fun- life is not always about work. You need to find that balance. Try to schedule something that is you love to do for at least once a month. This could involve drinks with friends, camping with family or simply indulging in a day of “you”.